Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"I Do!" and I'd do it again


Nineteen years ago today, I married my best friend. Fourteen years earlier and long before we started dating, Rob and I became friends. As the years passed, our friendship grew. In high school, I had the strange honor of being his "girlfriend sounding board." Really? How about me? I had such a crush on him. He was definitely the kindest, cutest, and most fun guy I knew.

Our wedding day didn't go quite as planned. So many things went wrong. One incredible moment, though, was my knight-in-shining-armor coming to my rescue. I had torn my pantyhose while dressing and didn't have a backup pair. My mom was a little anxious about the day (her baby girl was getting married, after all) and didn't have it in her to run down the street to get a replacement pair. Flustered, she went into the hall - at just the right time - and ran into Rob in his penguin suit with his brothers. She blurted out our predicament, and Rob, oh so calmly, said, "we'll go get her new ones." Just hearing him in that crazy moment, was so comforting. Off they went, four guys in tuxedos to K-Mart. He bought me three different pairs of hose, just in case he picked wrong or I had another issue dressing. Reassuring and confident, there when I needed him.

Here we are, almost two decades later, and he is still the kindest, cutest and most fun guy I know. He is still calm and confident. He is the voice of reason when I'm not so reasonable. He is the picture of peace when my world swirls. Nineteen years, and there is no doubt, I would say "I do" again, hose or no hose.

Thank you, Treds, for being such a godly husband, for leading our home, for treasuring my heart, and for being quick to forgive and slow to anger. I am truly honored to be your wife. Happy Anniversary. Always and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment