Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Parenting Lessons from Pharaoh

I am simply fascinated by the exchanges between Moses and Pharaoh in the book of Exodus. Perhaps it's because I keep battling the same things here at home - make your bed, bring your laundry downstairs, get that wet towel off the floor! Maybe. I think, though, God really wants me to learn something for me!

Pharaoh's responses to Moses are a whole lot like Satan's attempts to derail me, not just in motherhood, but in so many aspects of life.

1. Exodus 5:1-2 records this exchange between Moses and Pharaoh: "Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the desert.' And Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go." Pharaoh openly doubts Moses, and rejected God. How often does God speak to me, yet I doubt Him? If Satan can get me to doubt God, I won't do what He wants me to do. I say that's not what my kids need, or I don't need to do that. Satan wins.

2. At Moses' second request, Pharaoh called together the 'taskmasters' of the Israelites, and instructed them, "Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words." (Ex. 5:9). How often have I known that God wanted me to shut down the computer, lay aside the book, turn off the TV, or hang up the phone... and I just ignored Him? Not "just" ignored Him, but convinced myself that I had to "finish this first"? Busy-ness. As if anything I choose to do is more important than what God wants me to do!

3. The next response takes it a bit further. Pharaoh tries to strike a compromise with Moses, telling Him the people can worship God, as long as they remain in Egypt. (Ex. 5:24-28). How often has Satan tried to derail me with compromises?John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy..." If Satan can't get us to deny God and can't make us too busy to follow God, then he will distract us through compromises and justifications. As a parent, I have fought for years the "that's just how I am" excuse and the "that's the way I was raised" excuse, and worse, "what else can I do with these kids?" Really? Isn't God bigger than my problems? Do I believe His word only when it's convenient - or am I willing to follow Him even when it's hard? God can't use me to make a difference in my own generation or the next generation if I believe Satan's whispered lies. I can look the part of a Christian without having any impact at all.

4. When all else fails, there's the last lie. In Exodus 10:24, Pharaoh appears to relent, telling Moses that all the people may go to worship God, but they must leave the flocks and herds behind. How about me: what is Satan's last attempt to keep me from following God with all of me? What's the one thing that Satan knows I want? What is that selfish little bit that lives inside me that I must battle all the time? Some people chase "the American dream" - going for wealth, believing that money is essential to show love, sacrificing family time and relationships in the process. Some people buy in to pride, the accolades that come from work well done, when humility is what we need. What is it? What pulls me away from my role of parent time and again. Do I get it? Do I understand Satan's hold on me?

Christian parenting is as much about my own relationship with God as it is about raising my kids. God gave me these kids so they can know Him. To do that effectively, I must first know Him. I must also know me - willingly allowing God to reveal those areas in my heart that keep me from being the parent He wants me to be. In the second half of John 10:10, Jesus says, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Moses stood strong against Pharaoh. Pharaoh finally relented, and the people were released to take the journey God had planned for their lives. Where am I going to go? How will I get there? With God or without Him?

Dear Lord, Please forgive me for buying in to Satan's schemes. Help me realize his attacks and tricks and help me stand strong. Thank you for sending your Son into this world so that we might have a full life. Show me how to parent my kids the way You want me to. Use me so my kids can know You better. Open my eyes to the joy of life with You and the precious family You have given me. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment