Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lessons from the Garden

After living in our home for seven years, we finally landscaped the yard this spring… I really shouldn’t say we did it, because we took the lazy route and hired a great landscaper to do the work! Unfortunately, now that it’s done, we have to maintain it. I guess we could let it go, but that doesn’t make much sense.

This month has been really busy and making time for the yard, well, not so easy! Knowing I needed to get out there, I kept an eye on things when I could. I’d look out the window or glance across the yard while running to and from the car, and it seemed so pretty and perfect. Then yeseterday, I decided it was time to commit to the few weeds creeping across the edge of the beds. Yea, me!

When I got out there, down on my knees, I learned the truth. Under cover of my beautiful plants, my beds were full of weeds. They had snuck up on me, and I had a much bigger chore than I realized. (You can call me naive if you want. I am aware now!)

As I gently lifted my plants and pulled the offending weeds from below, God spoke into my heart. He showed me how subtle sin is and reminded me how important it is to tend to my relationship with Him every day. I learned:

  • that just as I refused to look closely at my yard during this crazy month, I can “ignore” God and not allow my own heart to be weeded. It’s as if I believed that if I don’t look for the sin, it won’t be there. (Proverbs 5:21-23)
  • that just as the weeds grew strongest under the shadowy cover of the plants, sinfulness grows in the darkest corners of my heart. What is going on in my life that I refuse to shine God’s word on? Do I ask God to reveal the dark places residing within me? Do I want him to weed my dark shadowy places? (Ephesians 5:11-13)
  • that just as I waited a long time to weed and had a huge project, I need to be willing to go through the refining process with God. Am I willing to run that race to the finish, no matter how long and hard it is? (Philippians 3:13-14)

I know I have ignored God’s direction in some areas. I have made excuses (it’s just the way I’m wired… because I’m the mommy… I’m too tired to deal with this today). My yard looks a lot better today. I think my heart is a little better looking, too… at least for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment